Having decided on a scale to use for railway track, see previous update here, I now wanted some buildings to go with it. So it was back to Peter Pig's website and it's Range 21 Scenery for a look. In their American Western, AWI and ACW range, at items 29 and 30 were a 15mm Western/ACW Water tower and Station. These were duly ordered and another club member picked them up from the Vapnartak show in York.
These were my first resin buildings, but with advice from the club terrain guys and plenty of YouTube watching, I pretty much knew the pitfalls. So after a soapy wash and dry they were assembled and primed with Vallejo grey surface primer, including the underside of the station.
|Assembled and Primed.
As I intend these to be used for ACW games and was thinking of Northern Virginia I spent some time looking for info on the roofing material used, slate tiles or wood shingles? I settled on slate tiles for the station, the water tower was obviously wooden shingles.
|Just awaiting finishing touches.
So the station roof was base coated Basalt Grey for the tiles and Gunmetal Grey for the lead flashing. This was then washed with GW Drakenhof Nightshade to give a bluish tinge then again with GW Nuln Oil. A thinned Cam Olive Green was applied in places to represent moss staining.
The main wooden areas on both were base coated with Beige Brown with the beams and shutters of the station picked out in Leather Brown. Some lightened planks were added for contrast. These areas were all washed with GW Agrax Earthshade.
The window and door frames were painted Prussian Blue as I wanted some colour and the Virginian state flag is blue. The window panes themselves were also painted this colour then received three washes of Drakenhof Nightshade and one of Nuln Oil. The windows got two coats of satin varnish after the whole building was matt varnished. Apart from a few sign boards that was it for the station.
The water tower after getting the same base coat as the station was again washed with Agrax Earthshade while the roof shingles were dry brushed with two lighter browns. The spout and bands were painted with Black Grey and then washed with Nuln Oil before the bands were dry brushed with a mixture of Gunmetal Grey and Red Leather to try nand imply rust. If was then based on a spare Renedra 2" square plastic base for stability.