|Redoubt at last Talavera game.
I also bought some mdf bases from Warbases to mount them on. I wanted these to be modular for flexability of use so decided on three artillery positions, two angle pieces and two end return sections. I cut the mdf bases to size fixed the gabions in place, added some cut down dowel logs and off cuts of blue foam to bulk out the earthworks to the front of the gabions, added ballast for the filling and then forgot about them for two years.......as you do.
With a planned refight of Talavera in the calendar for later this year they were brought out for completion. First some filler was applied over the blue foam to complete the earthworks around the gabions.
|Three gun positions, two angles and two end returns.
Next everything was primed black.
Before base coats were applied, some washes and drybrushing.
I then added another layer of the ballast to the infill of the gabions and gun positions before putting a few lines of flock on here and there to try and suggest edges of cut turf and a couple of tufts at the edges of the disturbed ground.
|Rear of whole emplacement.
|From the front.
|Artillery in place.
|Some of the options available.
Overall I'm happy with how they have turned out and think they look more temporary as well as more recent in their construction. At some point they will need a coat of varnish but otherwise finished.