Friday 31 January 2020

Artillery emplacement.

Over two years ago at a show I purchased some gabion sets from Renedra with the intention of producing some artillery emplacements for use with my Napoleonic figures. I wanted something a little more rough and ready than the earth work components we had used for the redoubt at Talavera, which I believe looked too well prepared.

Redoubt at last Talavera game.

I also bought some mdf bases from Warbases to mount them on. I wanted these to be modular for flexability of use so decided on three artillery positions, two angle pieces and two end return sections. I cut the mdf bases to size fixed the gabions in place, added some cut down dowel logs and off cuts of blue foam to bulk out the earthworks to the front of the gabions, added ballast for the filling and then forgot about them for two years.......as you do.

With a planned refight of Talavera in the calendar for later this year they were brought out for completion. First some filler was applied over the blue foam to complete the earthworks around the gabions.

Filler added

Three gun positions, two angles and two end returns.

Next everything was primed black.

All primed.

Before base coats were applied, some washes and drybrushing.

After painting

Close up.

I then added another layer of the ballast to the infill of the gabions and gun positions before putting a few lines of flock on here and there to try and suggest edges of cut turf and a couple of tufts at the edges of the disturbed ground.

Rear of whole emplacement.

From the front.

Artillery in place.

Some of the options available.

Overall I'm happy with how they have turned out and think they look more temporary as well as more recent in their construction. At some point they will need a coat of varnish but otherwise finished.

Tony.

11 comments:

  1. Top notch job on these defensive works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great Anthony. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice gun emplacements. I must look into these for my battlefields.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, they were quite quick to make if you don't include the two year break.

      Delete
  4. Great job on these. I laughed at the 2 year lapse. We wargammers do tend to do that. At least you could find it two years later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Borderline OCD can be helpful at times 😁

      Delete
  5. Nice work Tony.... I look forward to seeing them in use in your upcoming Talavera game.

    ReplyDelete