Friday 14 January 2022

2021 Round Up

So 2021 and this blog, what happened?

I think with the pause in gaming due to various lock-downs and a corresponding loss of mojo towards figure painting and that side of the hobby I just got out of the habit of blogging.

I also tended to write my blog entries during quiet periods at work and these seemed to get fewer last year.

A few wider family matters also conspired to reduce the enthusiasm to spend my free time on this hobby and therefore blogging about it.

This doesn't mean I didn't play any games, on the contrary I took part in several at New Buckenham during the latter part of last year, with rotten luck mind you. I finally came out on the winning side on the last game of the year, I even became the first British CinC to lose a Rorke's Drift game at the club.

Rather than try and post individual articles for each of theses games, even if I could remember enough about them, I have decided to summarise them with lots of my pics and links to the club's AARs.

Gorodeczna 12th Aug 1812 (Shako II)

No pictures from me for this one so Club Album and AAR

Rolica 17th Aug 1808 (Shako II)






Lost this one on the last morale check of the game. I failed, so British stopped exhausted, French played passed his allowing an orderly withdrawal.

Club Album and AAR

Willavera 1809, fictitious scenario (Shako II)







Rorke's Drift 22nd Jan 1879 (Black Powder)


Guess what? yep last dice throw of the game, British morale save...........fail!

Talavera 28th Jul 1809, Laval attacks the redoubt (Carnage & Glory)

Again no pictures from me so Club Album and AAR

Borodino 1812 (Shako II)

Stand by for lots of pics of this three day game:

































First Torgau 8th Sept 1759 (Black Powder)


Peninsular War 1808 or 1810 Rearguard action (Shako II)


Finally a win! rear-guard protecting a stubborn engineering officer who refuses to leave his supplies.


In all the above pictures if they feature British or Portuguese Napoleonic figures they are most likely mine, with a few exceptions, hussars for example.

Hopefully I will get back into the swing of it again this year, starting with next Saturday's game of Isandlwana from the Anglo Zulu war.

Thanks and best wishes for 2022

Tony.



9 comments:

  1. Well, that looked like a pretty reasonable number of games, given lock downs etc getting in the way, and the tables, scenery and figures all look fantastic.....so all in all, I dont think you had too bad a years gaming, but wish you even better in 2022!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the gaming wasn't really a problem it was the hobby and other stuff associated with it that went a bit pear shaped last year. We are a bit spoilt at our club for terrain and figure collections.

      Delete
  2. A lovely collection of games there Tony. Borodino in particular looks like a very impressive undertaking and, in spite of all the units on the table, left the players with some room to manoeuvre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lawrence, yes Borodino was an epic game. I had the fun of being the Russian Corps commander on the right flank as well as commander of a division sent all the way to the left flank to bolster the defence there.

      Delete
  3. Some lovely games there, Tony!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Play a lot of horse and musket do we? 😀
    Very cool pics and not such a bad record for the year. Being part of a club really seems to help get the games in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What makes you say that Stew? 🤣 I do play other periods too but that is where my main interest lies. With numbers limited to try and keep some social distancing at games I mainly kept to my core periods last year.
      As you say being in a club does help getting games to play in.

      Delete
  5. Those Borodino Russians are quite a sight! I am painting my first ever battalion right now so I have quite a way to go.

    ReplyDelete