Tuesday 9 January 2018

New Project Musings

In the later half of  2017  I could see my Napoleonic British Peninsular War army nearing completion and started to wonder if I should dip into another period.

British Peninsular War force, just heavy dragoons to go.

My first thought was for a skirmish level project as I had picked up the Sharp Practice 2 rules the previous year. Whilst debating whether to go with French Indian War (FIW) or American War of Independence (AWI) for this, a contact in Portugal put some figures up for sale and these included enough AWI figures to make a good start on this project so AWI it was. A few single sprues of various plastic troops were then picked up during a Warlord sale and apart from applying a wash and re-basing some of the native indians acquired from Portugal that's as far as that project has got.

AWI to do pile

Natives received from Portugal with added wash
and new bases

During the late summer last year, at the club I attend, we played a series of linked games which re-fought the American Civil War (ACW) battle of Antietam or Sharpesburg, depending on which side you support. linklinklink.

Battle of Antietam/Sharpesburg

This was in 15mm using the Fire & Fury ruleset and prior to this I helped out re-basing a club member's union troops to be used for these games.
Having played the battle of Gettysburg and a few other games in this scale using these rules previously at the club, a long held interest in this period of history was rekindled. With another new club member and close-ish neighbour collecting Confederates and with another planned grand scale re-fight of Gettysburg on the cards I decided to venture into this period too.
A trip to The Other Partizan show saw me start purchasing Blue Moon figures to recreate the Union V Corps as it was for Gettysburg. Shortly after, the club member whose figures I had started to re-base expressed an interest in selling up, so I purchased these giving me a ready made starting point. My Portuguese friend then contacted me with more figures he was selling if I was interested and low and behold 15mm ACW were included and so more figures were soon winging their way across from Europe.
So now I have figures by Blue Moon, Old Glory 15s and AB in my collection and lots of blue to paint.
Roll on 2018.

Happy new gaming year all.

Tony.

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Tony, and that British force really has grown nicely. It sounds as though you have some interesting projects ahead with your ACW and AWI projects, and it will be interesting to follow your progress on these.

    ReplyDelete